29 November 2010

Poetically Placed F-Bombs

Spun the elliptical trainer to Dr Dre's "Deeez Nuuuts" this morning at the gym.

Chiggie check... Microphone check one. Now I can't get "I can't be faded" out of my head this morning.

[comedy skit from Deeez Nuuuts]
"If I had some nuts, hangin on the walls, what did I have honey?"
I said, "Darling you'd have some walnuts."
She said, "Well.. daddy if I had some nuts on my chest, would those be chestnuts?"
I said, "Hell yes!"
She said, "Well daddy if I had nuts under my chin would those be chin-nuts?"
I said, "Hell no bitch you'd have a dick in your mouth!"



Since emerging in the South Bronx, hip hop has spread around the world.  Knowing I like repetitive beats, raw language, and poetry, I owe a debt of gratitude to my kids for introducing me to hip hop over a series of family car trips over the years.

Hip hop is my kid's generation answering my generation's soul music. To describe hip hop to my generation, I would first tell them to recall Little Anthony & The Imperials singing Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko-Bop.

Then I would point out to them that if you added raw and compelling lyrics to Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko-Bop, and threw in a modest amount of poetically placed f-bombs, you'd have hip hop in its West Coast gangsta flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.