23 October 2011

I Believe - October

This is the first of a series of I Believe posts. Each month I will post five things I have come to believe.
  1. I believe public policy should, as a matter of fairness, smooth the jagged edges of fate. 
  2. I believe a top-down hierarchy is inherently unstable - it assumes the ethical & operational infallibility of those at the top.
  3. I believe the myth of individual exceptionalism undermines our society. American exceptionalism romanticizes the notion that we are a nation of individuals.
  4. I believe when journalism is weakened, democracy is threatened. WikiLeaks just might counter the trend toward lapdog journalism.
  5. I believe the roots of comedy are centered about human-kind’s collective fallibility (which explains why the best comics are not politically conservative).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.